Auto Body Repair
The average driver is involved in three to four fender benders during their driving lifetime. That’s bad news for drivers and good news for anyone considering a career in the collision repair industry.
The Auto Body/ Collision Repair Technology program within CATS ATC offers training in all aspects of automotive collision repair, based on ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) standards. Through our courses, students are introduced to the following skills as they learn what it takes to return crash-damaged vehicles to pre-accident condition:
Students hone their skills through a combination of expert instruction and hands-on training in a program shop outfitted with an AFC spray booth, a Blackhawk frame machine, and other industry-standard equipment. Once they’ve mastered fundamentals like replacing damaged parts, students advance to metal finishing, applying body fillers, frame pulling and more.
The proper use of safety equipment, conducting damage analysis, producing damage estimates and customer service are important elements of the program, too. Upperclassmen are encouraged to bolster their skills and experience by securing internships or co-op positions with local body shops and auto dealerships.
- Removing and installing panels
- Wheel assembly, wheels and tires, aiming headlights
- Removing and installing interior and exterior trim and hardware, such as seats and emblems
- Removing and installing door regulators, moveable glass and stationary glass
- Attaching structural components with adhesives and by welding
- Preparing vehicles and equipment for refinishing
- Matching and custom mixing paint, applying paint and detailing
Students concentrating on Auto Body Repair have successfully completed the initial pairs of courses offered through the Auto Tech Program:
- Basic Transportation Systems / Intro to Service Repair
- General Transportation Systems / Auto Service Repair I
Once they have progressed into the Advanced Transportation Systems course, they will have the opportunity to rotate through a session on Auto Body / Collision Repair. If this is the path a student would like to continue, they will enroll in the Specialized Transportation Systems and Lab course focusing on Auto Body / Collision Repair.